Welcome!

Welcome to the fine art blog of San Diego photographer Stefanie Poteet. Here you will find photographs of everything from vintage hot rods to rubber ducks and everything in between.

If you are interested in Stefanie's wedding and event photography or portraiture, please visit her client blog.



Friday, March 30, 2012

Foodie Friday - The Original

Believe it or not, there's a bit of a fight in Los Angeles about just who originated the french dip sandwich. Two restaurants share this claim to fame, Philippe the Original and Cole's Originator's of the French Dip. Both places were opened in 1908 and neither one of them is budging an inch about who made the popular sandwich first. They both also have great neon signs and darn good food. 
"Philippe's" 
Philippe's was the first of the originals that I tried. I loved the old brick building, the sawdust floor and the vintage style counter service. Their famous french dip is different from the mainstream version you'll find in that the bread is dipped in au jus instead of the au jus being poured over the meat once it's in the sandwich. Believe me when I say you won't need extra au jus on the side. Cole's was a completely different take on the sandwich, but I'll save that for another Foodie Friday post. I do have to say that of the two places, I prefer Philippe's french dip. 
"The Original" in my Retro Roadside Photo Etsy Shop 
Have you eaten at either Philippe's or Cole's? Do you have a preference? And what's for lunch today?

Happy Friday!

- Stefanie

No comments: