Welcome!

Welcome to the fine art blog of San Diego photographer Stefanie Poteet. Here you will find photographs of everything from vintage hot rods to rubber ducks and everything in between.

If you are interested in Stefanie's wedding and event photography or portraiture, please visit her client blog.



Saturday, November 2, 2013

Girls...13 of 365

The large Dancing Girls sign is another downtown LA find, within walking distance of the Orpheum and Los Angeles theatres. Old and faded, I loved the S hanging from the last tie down. But in color this image just didn't have that pop for me, the light blue and pink colors lacked oomph. The light I needed just wasn't there. 

In editing I wanted something to highlight the tubing, the rust and peeling paint. I wanted those five letters to shine. I tried to make a color edit work... I love color... but it just wasn't there. No amount of editing can replace good light. I needed contrast. I wanted to see the age of this sign, the patching with tiny nails, the fading paint. Black and white wasn't quite right either. Too flat or too dramatic, I couldn't find a middle ground. I almost moved on to another image to edit and share for the evening, and then I tried sepia. I think it's done.
Glowing red no longer
Lucky thirteen is done... see you tomorrow for fourteen of 365. I'm thinking tomorrow's post will be from San Jose...

No comments: